Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Water System begins





So, the Atwood electric ignition hot water heater arrived along with the hot water bypass, a blow-out attachment, some more grey POR-15. I originally planned on using the existing electric hot water heater, but it only runs on 110 volts, which will not serve me well when I am in the middle of no-where woods. So I decided to go with the LP gas electric ignition Atwood. Runs on 12 volts and LP as. So I measured the cutout and used a hand-held grinder with a metal cutting wheel on it to cut out the area. Once that was cut out I had to re-frame the opening and put new interior sheething around the inside of the opening. Once this was completed, I put the heater in place and added (2) 2 x 4's and some advantech wood to support the bottom of the hotwater heater from inside. Next I used metal screws and Trempro635 to attach the heater and seal around the interior and exterior. I then finally cut some strips of aluminum and strapped the heater around the breack and over the top to the walls and floor respectively. Since the access door of the heater is white, I took it to a metal fabrication shop to have a cover for the existing door made. It will have a 1/2 inch lip around the edges so that I can rivet the door to the side of the trailer, creating a good seal. The trailer is curved so it needs to be attached with rivets or other fasteners. I am thinking it would be best to attach it using some other sort of fasterner, something that does not require a drill to open. We'll see.

No comments: