Monday, February 16, 2009

Cabinet design begins





The design stage has begun this evening. So far, we have taken our measurements and drawn lines on the floor of the trailer for the street side cabinets. The design in Autocad is taking place now and shortly we will have a design that can be posted. I decided to go with the same design as was originally in place. The only thing we will change on the street side will be to have an "end cap" next to the door, tying the lower and upper cabinets together, adding strength. We will more than likely cut a portion between the upper cabinets and counter tops out for increased visibility. We have also decided that we are going to use sassafras for the doors and facial boards. I liked this idea especially since the grains look like tiger stripes and it smells really nice. Oh, and furthermore, we are purchasing it from an Amish mill. For me, this is a great story since I am from Decatur, GA and used to seeing Caprice's and cadillacs all jacked up on 25 inch rims with air shocks etc......It is cool for me atleast. So needless to say, this part of the project is starting out well. I am loving it. Tom is the best woodsman and I cant wait to see the results.

Here are some pics of the jobsite. Tomorrow pics will be added of the cabinets begining.

Andrew

2 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

Could some of that stuff on the job site have been saved? My wife has been on me big time about keeping my job site cleaned up and neat. I just showed her yours and now I think she just might cut me some slack. Sassafras is a wonderful wood to work in. Just be certain to have it milled out fairly thin, for it is fairly heavy and weight is always an issue. Keep up the good work, I sure am enjoying watching your progress/

64TrotterAtl said...

I appreciate the comments. Yep, we are having fun doin this. Tomorrow we will ahve the kitchen section completely installed, startin the design of the back street side.

Oh, actually I learned through my travels that sassafras is actually lighter than poplar, oak, maple and all of the other hardwoods that were available for purchase. So I am thrilled. Atleast, that is what I have been told.