Monday, August 25, 2008

Home Sweet Home




Even though I had already had a plan of what I wanted in an Airstream, it was now time for me to actually make it happen. Rosemary and I sat inside and just looked at all of the original interior with the browns and the painted walls and cabinets. The gauchos and laminate flooring as well as the fiberglass tub/toilet/shower were all originals and in need of replacement of repair. The sub-floor felt strong but I knew it needed to be replaced. If I was going to travel the country in this trailer, it would have to be restored, starting with the frame, belly pan, wiring, sub-floors, cabinets, appliances, and well......everything.

In my life, I have done many things such as Peace Corps, MBA, study abroad, renovated 2 house I own, etc, but this, I feel, will be a different type of experience. Who knows, I may be wrong, but I feel drawn to this project. I am going to be making a home away from home on wheels.

Below are the pictures of the interior as well as the exterior as it was when I purchased it. Coming up next are the photos of demolition and breaking this beautiful trailer down to the skin and bones. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

the experience will be life changing....

IndyAnne said...

I know what you mean about "that feeling." It's kind of spiritual to me, to know that you are able to be part of this kind of restoration, and joining a community. I've heard so many stories of how people are using their Airstreams to do good in the world, to open up their own lives, and to connect with positive energy in the world. Blessings!
Anne (IndyAnne on Airforums.com) and my photo archive is here:
http://web.me.com/agm57/IndyAnnes_Airstream_Chronicles/IndyAnnes_Airstream_Chronicles/IndyAnnes_Airstream_Chronicles.html